Court Room, Stationers' Hall (EC4M 7DD)
A wonderfully bright room, richly carpeted and with rococo ornamentation in gold adorning the walls, it is dominated by an 18th century carved mantelpiece. It also holds the Company's Royal Charter. Although the original Charter, granted in 1557 ,was lost during the Civil War period the Company possesses an exemplification (copy) dated 1684 by Charles II.
The Court room is popular for smaller meetings, seminars, board meetings, wedding and civil ceremonies, receptions and as a lunch area for larger events taking place in the Hall.
It overlooks the garden that is accessed by a small balcony and wrought iron staircase. Both areas are particularly popular during the summer months, particularly for weddings and civil ceremonies.
We do not allow dancing in the Court room because of potential damage to the carpet.
The Company is governed by a 'Court' comprising a Master, two Wardens and twenty seven Assistants, who hold monthly meetings in this room - hence the name.